My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

El autobus en ottawa

Part I.
So I'm working in Ottawa (I'll tell you about that one later) and the busses here are a joy... pictures will also be posted sometime in the future if I don't break my camera running after one.
You gotta love it when you crawl out of your house into freezing cold and realize you got about a minute and a half to sprint through the 250m of ice and sand to the last bus. Naturally you slide on your butt off the stairs because you forgot the building maintenance never keeps them clean aside from occasional spraying with fine gravel. I have no idea what's that supposed to be - you still slide on the ice under the gravel, just can't see where it is because of the grey excre... ahem rocks :D
By the time you get up, shake the dirt off and come to your senses, you got about half a minute left. Obviously you're late for that bus, but you got one more chance - it makes a loop around your block so you can catch it at the intersection if u run in the opposite direction with the speed slightly above that of Yuriy Borzakovskiy... (Olympic games in Athens 2004 might ring the bell). By some miracle you make it to that intersection and despite the continually negative odds you get on that bus!.. Aside: some people say you enjoy the journey to success much more than the destination itself, to them I say did you ever run after the last bus on a rainy night in october?
But that was just a prologue to your fun.
The driver is crawling behind this grandpa who's doing 30 on the 100km/h highway, "this is a 100km/h zone, not 100 minus your age zone, step it up, paps!" finally he gets off the highway, now it's 90km/h zone, but I guess impressed by the paps driving, he continues on at 40km/h. And I'm not exactly sure what the driver was trying to do, I think he believed the bus was full of old people and pregnant women: slowing down at first sight of the bus stop, which sometimes was about 1km away and accelerating slightly faster than a loaded train somewhere between Moscow and Berlin. About half way through the ride he fell asleep, realized he has to break about 50m away from the other bus on a bus stop, hit the breaks and... the semi-cleaned roads with subtle ice crust let him know who's the boss :)) The clumsy bus skidded to a stop, the driver is having a coronary along with 15 other passengers who immediately awoke from the routine bus-snoozing. I wasn't positive about this one, but I'm pretty sure the woman sitting next to me started praying to every God she knew the name of. This is what I call well-rounded individual who keeps her options open. Remember Beni Gabor in The Mummy? Same deal, except no monster with sand falling off. No we didn't hit the other bus and nobody got hurt - nothing exciting another words.

2 Comments:

Blogger bravozerosix said...

The Gravel is there so that you can prove that you actually fell down. It hurts and takes skin out.. as opposed to just a bruise from the ice... nobody would believe that they'd think your wife beat you up or something.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gravel is there so you can learn to leave the house 5 minutes earlier... unless... you REALLY like perfecting your gravel skating abilities. Found your blog off of Adventist Singles Connection... very cool.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home